Nuffield Early Language Intervention
What is the Nuffield Early Language Intervention?
The Nuffield Early Language Intervention is a 20-week programme proven to help young children overcome language difficulties. It is designed for children aged 4-5 years and combines small group work with one-to-one sessions delivered by trained teaching assistants, targeting vocabulary, narrative skills, active listening and phonological awareness. Developed by a team led by Maggie Snowling and Charles Hulme, the intervention has been evaluated in robust trials funded by the Education Endowment Foundation and the Nuffield Foundation. These have found it to be effective for improving children’s oral language skills as well as promoting longer-term progress in reading comprehension.
- The Nuffield Early Language Intervention (NELI) is designed to improve the spoken language ability of children in reception classrooms.
- It is targeted at children with relatively poor spoken language skills.
- Teaching Assistants are trained in how to develop children’s language skills.
- Clear lesson plans are provided to save preparation time.
- Materials for children are bright and accessible.
- Three 30-minute sessions per week are delivered to groups of five children during the Spring and Summer terms (20 weeks).
- Children also attend an additional two 15-minute individual sessions per week.
- All sessions focus on listening, narrative and vocabulary skills.
- Work on phonological awareness is introduced in the final ten weeks.
The DfE is making Nuffield Early Language Intervention (NELI) available to primary schools who are in areas of social deprivation. This offer is for primary schools in England only. If your school qualifies then staff will have access to online training and resources free.
The DfE ask you to register an interest by July 30th.
If you want more information about the DfE/EEF offer click here
There is a useful FAQ section click here
To register an interest click here
We are not involved in the course administration for the free training. Please contact the course administrators by clicking this link if you need support or have any questions.
Still interested in Elklan training?
Please see below. Elklan's course offers online training with live webinars and the training can be completed in a single day.
– 21st May 2021
SaLTs and EY teaching advisors
EEF trial key facts
- NELI has been robustly evaluated through a randomised control trial between June 2018 and November 2019.
- The results provide strong evidence for the effectiveness of the NELI programme.
- The trial involved 1,156 pupils in 193 schools.
- NELI children made an average of 3 ADDITIONAL months’ progress in language.
- This result has a very high security rating: 5 out of 5 on the EEF padlock scale.
- The cost of NELI is £58 per child (where the progamme is used over 3 years with 5 children per year).
Download the PDF brochure produced by Oxford University Press for more info.
More information about NELI:
NEW: EEF Evaluation Report May 2020Download the PDF
NEW: EEF Executive Summary May 2020Download the PDF
NEW: EEF Reseach Summary May 2020Download the PDF
EEF: Preparing for Literary Guidance Report 2018Download the PDF
NELI is specifically mentioned on p. 23!